Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Best Kind Of Childhood

I can still remember buying that Super Nintendo at the mall when it first came out. My dad and I bailed on my brother and mom who were getting their hair cut and caught a taxi home. We set that thing up, and by the time the rest of the family got home we were knee deep in koopa ass. I played a lot of atari and the very first nintendo system but the SUPER Nintendo was an orgasm I kept on chasing. It's a memory I will never forget. I suppose my family was composed of Gamers from day one. We would sit down and play some Super Ghouls and Ghosts (Still the hardest game I've ever played) or some Tetris and spend time together. Then the Sega Genesis, Dreamcast, playstation...we spent vacation money, chore money, any money we could scrape together for another game and by the time it was all said and done...we had a library rivaling the E.B in the mall. I started out gaming. I can't really remember a time in my life when I wasn't obsessed.  Everything Tech came next...advances in the devices we used changed our lives and we scooped up all we could.  Our first computer was a DINOSAUR of a thing and we learned every function, Slaved over high scores, and memorized every program or file mod we could...and this is how I bet most Girl Gamers and Girl Techies start off. 
Now that I have no family and I'm an adult I look back on those days as my fondest. I loved being a competitive tech and game obsessed family. We spent thousands if not millions and trillions of hours in battle against each other when the N64 came out! Quality time and it was well spent. I also grew up on Star Wars, Star Trek, and Adult Swim...things I still love to this day. I know that nowadays games have turned into something parents frown upon. Too much blood, sex, and guts...but I ripped spines out of people via Sub-Zero and MK when I was no older than ten or so and thus far I haven't ripped out an actual spine due to that fact. So far...so good.  It was definently the best kind of childhood...a family brought together by endless hours of Tetris, Super Mario, Super Smash Bros, and Mario Cart. Now that I have nieces about the gaming age I had plans to mold them into excellent gamers but they already beat me to it. There is nothing like walking into your childhood home again and seeing two youngin's parked in front of the t.v. with wii controllers in their hands. : ) Ahhhhh, life is grand.





2 comments: